• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does anyone know what this letter would be about

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgeofmi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? michigan

what would this letter be about

my mom of 80 years old just showed me a letter she recieved in 2014 about a person who died they deal with lost and unclaimed property and assets their name is keane the person who died i worked for them for 11 years and she had no ties to them ....when i called and gave the case number they knew the deceased name but said there was no information i'm puzzled do you know why this is? thanks in advanced

Dandy Don

It means that the Keane Company has information about assets that belonged to the decedent and they are trying to locate any surviving heirs/next of kin. They may have interviewed other people who knew the decedent and maybe someone gave them your mother's name as a possible contact who might have known the decedent.

Are you sure that your mother is not related to the decedent in any way? Their first step in investigating is to contact any next of kin. If you are certain that she is not related to the decedent, then their next step is to talk to neighbors of the decedent or friends of the decedent. Someone who knew the decedent may have also known that you or your mother knew the decedent and they probably gave them your mother's name if they did not remember your name, as an alternate means of someone they could contact for more information.

Keane was not obligated to give YOU any information about the case since you have no legal interest in it, but it was nice that you called to try to find out more information. If YOU know the names and addresses of any next of kin of the decedent, then you can call Keane and ask them if they want the information you have.

You should ask your mother to call Keane back and she is the one who should tell them she is not related and she is the one who should ask why they contacted her and then they will tell her the reason why and she should ask if the money is still unclaimed. It is possible that they could have found the heirs by now, after so much time has elapsed, and they might not even need her information anymore if the case is closed and if the money has been claimed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">