• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does sole aire stated in Will also cover all Bank accounts including CD's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Deboct1

I have been named as the sole aire in my uncle's will as he has no children and it is so stated in his will. He is leaving his home to me as well as his savings account. Recently, a woman from another state has claimed him as her father. He has verified that this is an impossibility as he met her mother 3 years after her birtdate. Nevertheless, he has put her name on a $50,000 CD at his bank. My question is, since I am the only name on his will, is she going to be able to collect on the CD. She hasn't been able to provide any evidence of her claim, and refuses to provide a birth certificate. My uncle is 89 and knows the truth, but feels "sorry for" her..He has only seen her once. thanks

dmode101

It sounds like the CD is held in joint tenancy with the alleged daughter. Joint tenancy assets pass outside the will. Therefore, it does not matter that she is not in the will, she will receive the contents of this account at your uncle's death.

D

Deboct1

Will and CD's

Are there any legal ways around this? What are the loopholes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">