• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does spouse receive her dead husbands share?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrustUser

here is the state of michigan's anti-lapse law

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28a1n3uo55gy1k1s2g3uhcxnb4%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-700-2709

in this particular case, the deceased beneficiary is a family member, if i read the op correctly, which would mean that he would qualify.

so i think this means that the property that would have gone to the deceased beneficiary, now goes to the "beneficiary's surviving descendants".

someone else can dig more thoroughly to find out what exactly michigan means by surviving descendants. but i would not think the wife would be one ?

anteater

That would apply to wills. Not certain what the case would be with a Michigan trust.

But, correct. The predeceased beneficiary's surviving spouse would not be considered a descendant.

TrustUser

well, either the uncle can make a simple amendment now, or make the kids go thru a bunch of rigmarole later.

i had to look up how to spell rigmarole. by the looks, i thought maybe everyone pronounced it incorrectly. but it looks like the whole second syllable is silent. i cant think of any other words like that, although no doubt there are some !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">