• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does trust pay for lawyer's defense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legal_un_ese

What is the name of your state? Florida

-93 year old aunt passed away.
-54 year old attorney draws up trust documents and wills.
-attorney becomes very friendly with aunt and ends up with well over $130,000 as surviving beneficiary of 2 bank accounts OUTSIDE OF THE WILL.
-question#1 How can I get information from the bank as to when the attorney was named the beneficiary?
-question #2 If I go to the Florida BAR, AND OR go to court, does the attorney's legal expences come out of the trust? (which is essentially my money, as I am the residual beneficiary).

Dandy Don

Bank is not likely to give you any informatoin about when attorney was named beneficiary, as they will usually only release information to the executor or trustee.

L

legal_un_ese

Do I have to go to court to get the info from the bank?

Since I have "POSITION" in the will as remainder beneficiary, and the bank account that went to the attorney would be mine. Under what circumstances would a court compel the bank to tell me on what date the attorney was named beneficiary to the accounts?

(What do I need to prove, or accuse attorney of, or do in ANY legal way, within the court system, to somehow get this extremely vital information from the bank?)

The attorney is one of the two trustees of the revocable trust, would the other trustee be allowed to tell me the information without violating any rules or laws?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

You probably won't get the information from the bank until and unless you file a lawsuit against the attorney if you allege that he got this money illegally. There may not be a law against an attorney being a beneficiary, so you really do need to be consulting with a local probate or trust attorney about this.

Trustee could tell you the information if he/she was sympathetic to your situation/cause, but that would be a bit unlikely, since they would probably feel ethically bound to tell the attorney trustee about your inquiry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">