• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dower and decent and distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lizhudson

I live in Ohio. A few years ago my fiance and I purchased a house, the decision (at the time was to purchase it in his name only) consequently I had to sign off my dower rights. Recently he decided to refiance and the agreement was for me to be added to the the mortgage, providing with me dower rights and also obtaining credit life. When it came time to sign all the papers I was once again expected to be excluded. I refused to sign off my dower rights this time. We are now married and I feel I should be protected. In addition he has no will, there is no surviorship deed. We have no children together. I understand that according to the statue of decent and distribution in Ohio I would be entitled to the first $25,000. and 1/3 of the remainder of any, but that if he were to pass away I would have no rights to remain in the property. I feel that I have work hard to help maintain this home and that it is as much mine as it is his and I refuesed to sign my dower rights away. Should I insist that he protect my rights and interest in the property and how would you suggest we begin to do this.

Thanks
Lizhudson

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">