• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dying intestate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RSuave

My mother was a resident in the state of California. She did not have a will and my father passed away 7 years ago. I have 4 siblings. My sister claims to have found a piece of paper stating that everything, including property, were to go to one of my brothers. What are my rights?

ALawyer

IF there is a VALID WILL, the beneficiary named in it would take everything, if that's what the Will said.raphic Will)

Whether the "piece of paper" is a valid Will is another question. It depends on exactly what it says, when it was prepared (was she mentally competent then), how it was prepared (all in her handwriting -- if so, holographic wills are legal in CA; of if not, was it properly witnessed?) and the circumstances when it was made (if at gunpoint, or under duress, it easily could be challanged).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">