• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elder Abuse & Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lljnapa

Maryland.
Shortly after my parents moved in to the retirement community where they now live, my father was befriended by a woman who lives nearby. She's been hanging around for almost 4 years now.
It has now come to light that my father has been withdrawing Large sums of money from his bank accounts and giving it to her. We're talking at least $50k, if not more. My dad is 91 and in increasingly failing health and she is clearly taking advantage of this.
We're in the process of obtaining a Guardianship over my father, but it takes time.
Can someone please tell me what the laws are in Maryland surrounding elder abuse and theft? Although, by all appearances, he is giving her the money of his "own free will", it's clear that he doesn't know what he's doing. He was shocked when my brother brought it to his attention that he'd bounced numerous checks, and he had no idea where the money had gone.
Also, at what point does Grand Theft come into play?
If there are any resources where I could learn more about Elder Abuse, I'd be interested in those, also.
Thank you.

ALawyer

If you are getting a Conservatorship, the lawyer assisting you can fill you in.

I don't know the specifics of Maryland's laws on the subject but look under State Law Center on FreeAdvice.com - The button is on the right! And theft would be almost impossible to prove, assuming you could even get a DA to prosecute.

L

lljnapa

But, aren't there laws protecting the elderly from just this sort of situation?
Also, this "friend" walked my father into his bank and had him tell the bank manager that his wife was dead and the money was for his son in Florida. He has no son in Florida and his wife is very much alive. He is not of his right mind and cannot remember from one day to the next, or worse.
My mother mentioned that making false statements to a bank officer is a federal offense. Is this true?
Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">