• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eliminating Family Members from Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isabel5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am currently unmarried and am facing a real battle with my siblings. There are too many problems that I have dealt with over the past 40 years with them and I would like to know how to ensure that they will have no legal rights to my 'estate'. I have no will now but am planning on having one drawn up legally. Is it really necessary to state my family, their spouses and children? Does birthright supercede my appointed executor/DPOA? Given their greed with my parents estate (they have wormed their way into becoming executor and DPOA) and leaving me in the cold. I want them out of my future. Any suggestions? (This is so sad).

Last edited:

ecmst12

Hire a lawyer to write a will that will do what you want it to do.

If you end up getting married or having children down the line, make sure you update it!

anteater

It is always best to acknowledge the existence of those who would stand to inherit if you did not have a will and state that you are excluding them, if that is your desire. If you are unmarried and have no children, that would be your parents. Or your siblings, if your parents are deceased.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">