• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ensuring custody if I die

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adamstephanie08

We live in Las Vegas, Nevada.
My fiance and I are concerned that if I pass away how will we ensure that he gets custody of my 6 year old daughter. Her father lost visitation years ago and has not attepted to see or contact her in over 4 years nor does he pay child support. (State can't find him)
She has family both in NV and NH but I want to make sure she stays with the man that she has been calling daddy for years. What can I do?

Some Random Guy

Children are not property and cannot be willed to someone else.

If you want him to be the father, proceed with the marriage and then have him formally adopt your child.

You state that the father "lost visitation years ago". What exactly does that mean? Were his parental rights terminated, or were you granted full custody, etc. Take the answer to that question to a local lawyer who can help you get started in the adoption process.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Whatever you do, do it as soon as you can. A child whose mother dies and whose father can't be found is very vulnerable to either becoming a part of the system, or the rope in a game of legal tug-of-war by the surviving relatives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">