• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Attorney retoric......HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hootie7

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My Father passed away over 1 year ago. Now we are being told by the attorney that the estate cannot be finalized (there is alot of money to go to beneficiaries) until the state of Ohio sends its "closing letter" accepting the taxes. A "Certificate of determination of final tax liability" has already been filed with the probate court in Ohio on February 16, 2005. Is this something different than a "closing letter"? We were under the understanding that this meant the state of Ohio accepted the taxes. We are lost and confused on this issue. The estate attorney originally told us that once the "certificate of determination of final tax liability" was received and filed with the court than he could begin closing the estate. What are we waiting for??? Anyone who has knowledge of the Ohio Estate Tax law PLEASE help. We keep getting the run around and no direct answers. The probate court is of no help, and tells us to contact the estate attorney when we asked what this certificate was. So, anyone.....what is a "closing letter" and what is a "certificate of determination of final tax liability"? Are they the same thing????

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

hootie7 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
My Father passed away over 1 year ago. Now we are being told by the attorney that the estate cannot be finalized (there is alot of money to go to beneficiaries) until the state of Ohio sends its "closing letter" accepting the taxes. A "Certificate of determination of final tax liability" has already been filed with the probate court in Ohio on February 16, 2005. Is this something different than a "closing letter"? We were under the understanding that this meant the state of Ohio accepted the taxes. We are lost and confused on this issue. The estate attorney originally told us that once the "certificate of determination of final tax liability" was received and filed with the court than he could begin closing the estate. What are we waiting for??? Anyone who has knowledge of the Ohio Estate Tax law PLEASE help. We keep getting the run around and no direct answers. The probate court is of no help, and tells us to contact the estate attorney when we asked what this certificate was. So, anyone.....what is a "closing letter" and what is a "certificate of determination of final tax liability"? Are they the same thing????

http://www.ohiobar.org/pub/lycu/index.asp?articleid=249

Hooters, your post is a good example of why people hate lawyers. Go sit in your lawyer's office (politely) until he answers your questions.

hootie7

I would love to sit in his office, however 1200 miles seperate us.....me in florida, him in Ohio. I think they teach how not to give straight answers in law school.........

Dandy Don

So get his e-mail address or fax number or pay for the long distance phone call to get the information you need from him, or get a second opinion from another probate attorney who practices in the same city or county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">