• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate from Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuperCoolDude

Hello, If an estate is left to one person can they opt to deflect some of the funds to another w/o it becoming a "Gift"? My mother is the executrix and sole beneficiary of my uncle's estate and she wants to have the funds go to my sister and I instead of herself. Would we have to pay a gift tax on the funds or is there a way that we can receive the funds from the estate as an inheritance instead?

Thanks for any info! SCD

SuperCoolDude

Actually it's not the fact that it's from Canada that's a problem it's the US tax ramifications that I want to know about. Basically, can an executor of a will (Who also happens to be the sole beneficiary) redirect funds to someone else w/o it counting as a gift. So the person that is receiving the funds is able to receive them as an inheritance rather than a gift. Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello, If an estate is left to one person can they opt to deflect some of the funds to another w/o it becoming a "Gift"? My mother is the executrix and sole beneficiary of my uncle's estate and she wants to have the funds go to my sister and I instead of herself. Would we have to pay a gift tax on the funds or is there a way that we can receive the funds from the estate as an inheritance instead?

Thanks for any info! SCD
In the US, on the Federal level, the person receiving a gift doesn't pay tax.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I thought there was a $13K per year limit on how much a person could receive as a gift tax free.
Nope - in a nutshell, the $13,000 refers to the amount a person can give before being required to report it. Even then, tax may not be due. It's based on the individuals situation.

FlyingRon

And the gift tax filing requirement doesn't apply to those outside the US.
Depending on how much they send you, there may be a requirement to file as the recipient of such a gift ($100,000 if I remember correctly).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">