• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate confusion.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lazyalloy

My mother passed away in Georgia without a will. I am the sole heir and only decendant. I have already obtained the administrix/exeutor papers but I am unsure if I need to open an estate account or not. She has under $100 in her bank account and her assets could be considered my grandmothers who has also passed away.

My grandmother died about three years ago, my mother filed a deed change into her name two years ago after finishing her affairs. The lawyer actualy put my mothers name on someone elses deed and so the house still remains in my grandparents name. So I don't know if the house is technicaly hers or not, she was the exeutor of their estate. Other than the house her only other asset was her car which I have paid off with my own money.

My mothers debt is possibly greater than the value of the house anyway, primarily consisting of medical bills and credit card bills. She had no life insurance or any other assets. So since these are unsecured debts am I or is the estate responsible to pay them off? If I do not pay them, as I have no means in which to pay, would they be able to put a lein on the property? Should I open an estate account if there is no way to pay the debts off? What should I do about the deed?

LdiJ

My mother passed away in Georgia without a will. I am the sole heir and only decendant. I have already obtained the administrix/exeutor papers but I am unsure if I need to open an estate account or not. She has under $100 in her bank account and her assets could be considered my grandmothers who has also passed away.

My grandmother died about three years ago, my mother filed a deed change into her name two years ago after finishing her affairs. The lawyer actualy put my mothers name on someone elses deed and so the house still remains in my grandparents name. So I don't know if the house is technicaly hers or not, she was the exeutor of their estate. Other than the house her only other asset was her car which I have paid off with my own money.

My mothers debt is possibly greater than the value of the house anyway, primarily consisting of medical bills and credit card bills. She had no life insurance or any other assets. So since these are unsecured debts am I or is the estate responsible to pay them off? If I do not pay them, as I have no means in which to pay, would they be able to put a lein on the property? Should I open an estate account if there is no way to pay the debts off? What should I do about the deed?
The estate is responsible for paying her debts, and the estate must do so by selling any and all assets that are needed to be sold to satisfy the debt.

Therefore the deed on the home needs to be corrected (you will likely need an attorney for that) and then the home will have to be sold to satisfy her debts. As the executor, it is your responsibility to make sure that happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">