• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonlady97213

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Is there a deadline when items listed within a will must be distributed? My father was a resident of Wisconsin and died last July. In his will he designated items to be distributed to family members, however his wife has refused to release some of the items. Is there a deadline by which she must comply with the execution of the will. What happens if that deadline passes?

dragonlady97213

Let's start at the top.

Is this will being probated?
Not being up on the judicial system, but knowing how to use a dictionary, I would tell you no, this will is not being probated. A copy of the will was given to my siblings and me when my father passed away last year. My father told all of us to trust his wife as she would do the right thing. Some of the items listed in the will were distributed last year, however, there are a number of items still in the possession of my father's wife. I contacted her requesting release of the items, but she refuses to relinquish possession.

seniorjudge

Not being up on the judicial system, but knowing how to use a dictionary, I would tell you no, this will is not being probated. A copy of the will was given to my siblings and me when my father passed away last year. My father told all of us to trust his wife as she would do the right thing. Some of the items listed in the will were distributed last year, however, there are a number of items still in the possession of my father's wife. I contacted her requesting release of the items, but she refuses to relinquish possession.
If a will is not being probated, then it is just a piece of paper.

So, if it's worth it to you, hire a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">