• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate executor other than husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klucich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
Can I appoint an executor of my estate other than my husband, if I die before he does? I have seen what happened in the death of his mother. He has done nothing and bills, taxes, leins and suits are piling up. He just can’t deal with it and elects not to do anything, including contacting someone for help. How can I prevent this from happening with my hard earned money if I die before him? I am getting a real rude awakening. He has good intentions, but is not paperwork savvy and will be unable to deal with it. Just the way he is. I just want someone to come in and take care of all the legal stuff for him.

curb1

Other than your most important question, are there any other beneficiaries besides your husband (in mother's estate)? Can you help?

To your question, if you would die before your husband is it your plan to pass everything to him?

curb1

I guess the relevance would be that, depending on what she would like to pass on to her husband, she could pass the assets directly to him without much fanfare.

TrustUser

there is certainly something that can be done such that a non-financial person is not forced to be put in charge.

my first question would be "how does your husband feel ?"

if the two of you are in agreement, it will make it A LOT EASIER.

many people would be in seventh heaven if they had someone else deal with it all. if your hubby is apt to fight the idea, then a completely different attack may be necessary.

klucich

Oh I am sure hubby would be in agreement with someone else handling affairs. If I die, yes I would pass everything on to him, but also would like some of my assets go to my side of the family when he dies, not everything to his two kids who probably would rather have cash than care anything about three generations of heirlooms we both have collected.

Secondary answer, there is only one other relative who could handle mother's affairs, but they are out of town.

TrustUser

you can accomplish what you want within a trust.

you and hubby simply need to sit down and determine how you want to distribute the assets.

as a suggestion, distribute the keepsakes individually.

but when it comes to the financial assets, make the distribution a percentage.

that way, if one asset is sold, each kid loses the same percentage.

and figure out who you want the trustee to be.

dont forget - you might outlive your hubby, and i am sure he wants his kids to be taken care of, as well.

klucich

Thanks. I do want to be fair all the way around. I have received some very good advise.

Thanks to you all. This site is such a great help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">