• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate fraud.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wyodad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming.

My wifes father was very well off. He passed away a year ago which is where the story starts. My wife stared probation 2 years ago and her dad and an attorney made her sign an agreement that if he dies she could not collect the full will until she was off but could collect a certain amout for living expences. After he died we got a call from the attorney and he went over a lot of stuff but would not send a copy of the will. Her dad had a lot of assets and was worth well over 250 million with over 30 cars, a lot of houses, 10 businesses that went to my wife and half his money. As time went on we finally got a copy but her proatioon demaned to go over it and refused to give it back. We had another attorney look into the origional attorney and when he found out he blew a fuse. Stopped talking to us, his office staff even threatened to calll the cops if we kept calling. He was from Ney York so we tried to get another attorney but with no luck because everyone wanted to much up front. The person with probation who got the copy of the will later confessed to harassing my wife with trying to violate her for no reason and causing a lot of issues ut never mentioned the will. We live in Wyoming and have been talking to a DA who got in touch with someone who "had a full copy of the will" and gave detailsand told him what other people collected, said the will was updated a few months before her dad died (something the New Your attorney did not mention). He gave lots of details and got approval to release it to us. This morning he told the DA that we were supposed to be getting $500k and mineral rights pre probation termination (we haven't seen a dime). After he found out we were going to talk to his boss he called us(after 2 weeks of waiting) and told us he did not have a copy of the will but only a short summary letter that was in the files of the probation guy who got fired (totaly differant than what he told DA). He then told us that we were only getting Mineral rights to land and $500k and begged us not to talk to his boss. We got a little more info but he was being shady. It turns out that a few weeks after her dad died the will was transfered from New York to Wyoming (before my wife even heard from any attorney). I'm worried someone has tampered with it because myy wife knew what was hers and it was much more than $500k. We found out that probation guy and NY lawyer were talking. They also were tallking to the head clerk in Cheyanne who we heard has the power to change or delete files.
So we were supposed to be collecting this whole time and haven't which means the attorney has been keeping money? Mineral rights are worth a cpl million a year.

Is there anyway the will could have been changed or forged after his death by the attorney?
Would New York still have a copy of the will on file?
We finally found out where it is today, how long will it take to get a copy of the will.
What should we do next?
Who can we call to raise red flags?

Sorry for this being hard to read I typed it off my phone.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming.

My wifes father was very well off. He passed away a year ago which is where the story starts. My wife stared probation 2 years ago and her dad and an attorney made her sign an agreement that if he dies she could not collect the full will until she was off but could collect a certain amout for living expences. After he died we got a call from the attorney and he went over a lot of stuff but would not send a copy of the will. Her dad had a lot of assets and was worth well over 250 million with over 30 cars, a lot of houses, 10 businesses that went to my wife and half his money. As time went on we finally got a copy but her proatioon demaned to go over it and refused to give it back. We had another attorney look into the origional attorney and when he found out he blew a fuse. Stopped talking to us, his office staff even threatened to calll the cops if we kept calling. He was from Ney York so we tried to get another attorney but with no luck because everyone wanted to much up front. The person with probation who got the copy of the will later confessed to harassing my wife with trying to violate her for no reason and causing a lot of issues ut never mentioned the will. We live in Wyoming and have been talking to a DA who got in touch with someone who "had a full copy of the will" and gave detailsand told him what other people collected, said the will was updated a few months before her dad died (something the New Your attorney did not mention). He gave lots of details and got approval to release it to us. This morning he told the DA that we were supposed to be getting $500k and mineral rights pre probation termination (we haven't seen a dime). After he found out we were going to talk to his boss he called us(after 2 weeks of waiting) and told us he did not have a copy of the will but only a short summary letter that was in the files of the probation guy who got fired (totaly differant than what he told DA). He then told us that we were only getting Mineral rights to land and $500k and begged us not to talk to his boss. We got a little more info but he was being shady. It turns out that a few weeks after her dad died the will was transfered from New York to Wyoming (before my wife even heard from any attorney). I'm worried someone has tampered with it because myy wife knew what was hers and it was much more than $500k. We found out that probation guy and NY lawyer were talking. They also were tallking to the head clerk in Cheyanne who we heard has the power to change or delete files.
So we were supposed to be collecting this whole time and haven't which means the attorney has been keeping money? Mineral rights are worth a cpl million a year.

Is there anyway the will could have been changed or forged after his death by the attorney?
Would New York still have a copy of the will on file?
We finally found out where it is today, how long will it take to get a copy of the will.
What should we do next?
Who can we call to raise red flags?

Sorry for this being hard to read I typed it off my phone.

Your wife needs to speak to an attorney.

Not a message board.

Wyodad

Agreed. Again we have tried and unless we found the will which we just did yesterday nobody would touch the case without a lot of money that we don't have. I was just asking a couple questions since that's what I thought this board was for.

Anyways for anyone with real answers. How hard would it be for the attorney to file papers signing everything over to another family member claiming my wife didn't want the estate? She has two greedy brothers who were taken out of the will that were fighting for the money last we heard.

anteater

I must say... Your story is exceedingly odd. What with probation officers and district attorneys running around and involving themselves in an estate.

How hard would it be for the attorney to file papers signing everything over to another family member claiming my wife didn't want the estate?
If the attorney is willing to risk prison time, easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">