• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Handling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmsgolfer

This is with regard to my late dad's brokerage account, below is a brief summary:
My late dad passed away October 1st, 2009. He was retired in Casablanca, Morocco. He is a dual citizen (Both USA & Moroccan citizenship). He left behind 4 children (2 daughters, and 2 sons) which are all adults, and a wife (the wife is a USA permanent resident, and Moroccan citizen).
His only asset/estate in the USA is a brokerage account (total value around 58K) which contains stocks and 25K in cash.

It's important to note that my late dad is not domiciled in New York or any other USA state, he was retiring and living in Casablanca, Morocco.

I am not sure about the process, and the succession. He did not leave a will behind and the brokerage account does not have a designated beneficiary or a TOD (Transfer on Death)

In this case i am not sure if the common law will apply and if so which (New York, or Moroccan common law) and what the process is like for such cases.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance....Also if anyone can recommend a lawyer with experience in similar cases it would be great. Below is my email:

[email protected]

Dandy Don

You will need to retain a probate attorney in whatever city/country he DIED in to handle his probate affairs. Depending on what the law says, that attorney may be able to claim the US asset, but if the law there does not allow that, a US attorney can be retained in an additional probate proceeding if necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">