• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate/ Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aiustudent87

Texas-

My grandmother passed about 1 month ago. My aunt (1 of 2) is in contol of the estate. All three of her daughters have passed on the house, and I offered to pay the mortgage which is still in grandma's name.

My aunt the estate controller wants to know if it is legal for me to pay paymentsunder her mortgage? Also, what would be a simple fix to making sure they cannot come after me and I assume full responsibiiity when using grandma's loan? She did not leave the house in the will.

Thanks
Ben

anteater

What exactly is the end game here? Are you going to occupy the place and pay the mortgage in lieu of rent? Paying the mortgage does not get you ownership.

Realistically, the lender is not likely to worry about where the check is coming from as long as it comes. But grandmother's estate is still on the hook for the mortgage.

"Estate controller" is not a term that I recognize. Has this aunt opened probate and been appointed by the court to administer grandmother's estate?

Last edited:

aiustudent87

Eventually, when I can get a loan approved, I will request to buy from the executive of estate (what I called estate controller- who is in charge of estate). The estate/will has not been probated yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">