• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

christinelarash

My father just died. He was taking care of the financial obligations for my great-aunt (as power of attorney and then, I am assuming, executer). She died in debt this past Spring, and I would like to know if we (my brother and I are the beneficieries of my father's will) are now liable for her debt (or if he ever was). What is the difference if her bills are only in her name or jointly in both her and my father's name? Thank you.

dmode101

If the bills were jointly in both aunt and father's name, then his estate may be liable. But if it was just your aunt's debt, then those debts can only be satisfied out of her estate. If he was acting as executor, someone else probably needs to be appointed in his place. This sounds like it may be a complicated situation and you are well advised to contact a probate attorney to work on the details. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">