• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate not going anywhere?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

booie34

My father died 3 years ago intestate in New York and my stepmother is the administrax of his estate. I have this suspicious feeling the estate isn't being handled in the manner in which it should be.
Dad had an escavating business and a logging business which has been liquidated for some time now and the only issue that hasnt been solved is a real property that my dad and mom had when they were married years ago ,but they never settled the property when they were divorced in 1983.
The problems I have is that my step mother wants to get ownership of this property and think she is holding up the estete trying to find a way to get her hands on the property.
I feel she is taking away the rights of my Dad's(5) children by holding out as long as she can and exhausting Dad's estate in the meantime.I have contacted the estates lawyer looking for answers and have been brushed off.I have contacted the surroagate court in the county in which the petition was to be filed and they have no records on anything other than the petition for administrax which was granted in 1997, shrtly after my Dad's death.
Could it be possible to ask the court to appoint some one other than my step mother and her lawyer to settle this matter? My stepmother has accomplished separating the family as my Mom has rights to this property there is divided opions on to what extent of the property mom should receive.Her own children are looking to take what is rightfully belonging to Mom away and putting the money from the property into their own pockets.I feel aa tough we should have a court appointed executor in place so there is fair eyes looking in at this situation rather than money hungry family members,and greedy stepmother.
Another question I have is how should Dad's personal property have been distributed?He had personal property that my stepmother gave away without letting her (not so favorite step children)know of what was being given away .
I called my stepmother shortly after Dad passed away asking her for Dad's work watch and just recently found out that she has given my brother the watch along with guns,atv,tools,pistol and who knows what else. I got rail roaded as i wasn't one of the children that agreed to push Mom out of the picture concerning the real property.So i'd love to have a few things that my Dad had for keepsake and for my child as I will inherit $$ but it was nothing that I earned,I want something that was a part of my Dad's life.

Please help me understand how this situation can be stopped before it is too late.also on which stand would I be best to pursue on the interest of Dad's estate?(as far as consulting an attorney)
I thank you so much in advance as I am so heartbroken and confused and a family could end up in such a situation following the death of such an important person in our lives.
I feel saddened to feel such bitterness over what Dad has earned in his lifetime to have this come down to this,Dad would be upset!!

ALawyer

First Dad is dead and while he might not have approved of what has gone on, what is at issue is the survivor's rights, and who gets what assets.

If you want to move this forward, by yourself, or with one or more siblings, get an attorney in or near the county your father lived in who will look into it and be better able to point out legal and PRACTICAL options and their costs and consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">