• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meg

My sister passed away 9 months ago and her husband and his uncle, who is his lawyer, are handling her estate but I'm not sure they are doing it by the book. First of all my sister also has a young child that is not that of her husbands, it is my understanding that there should have been a letter sent stating that she may be an heir to her mother's estate, however this letter never came until after my parents got a lawyer because the husband thinks he is entitled to everything. Then they tried to say that the husband is entitled to the first 30% and then the rest is split between him and the child, but this is not the way it is stated in the PA code. My sister had 2 paychecks coming from her place of work at the time of death and they were issued to her husband and he put this money into his own personal checking acct., is this money all his? And is there anything of her mother's in the house that the child should be entitled to? Her mother owned a gun collection, computer, 4-wheeler, jewlery, household furnishings, etc.., isn't the child entitled to any of these things of her mother's? A lawyer had told my parents that he could place a freeze on everything in the house so nothing could be removed until the estate is setteled, is this legal? However the lawyer they have now said he won't do that. My parents have legal custody of the child now. Should my parents have recieved a list of the estate ? They never got one and now they were told that the estate is about to be closed, how are my parents suppose to know what all was done with the estate money and how are they to ensure that the child is getting what she should?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">