• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate planning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greeneyegrl954

What is the name of your state? My mom lives in New York-I live in Florida

Hi,
I just had a scare with my mom who is turning 80 Jan 4..She is out of the hospital and is on road of recovery..I know she has made me executor of her estate..I am the only child as my brother passed away in 1994..
I have been hearing all sorts of things about if she ended up in a nursing home- that they could step in and take the house etc...I do not plan on her to go into a nursing home..I plan on taking care of her if needs be...
I do not have alot of money - I work hard and have a decent job..But living in Florida I have mortage and payments to live here..Not sure if I could afford the taxes if she turned the house over into my name..I also heard that even if she did - it has to be in affect for 7 years.. She does not want to leave her home and move in with me here..She wants to stay in her house..So I have been considering if I have to - move up there if needed..
What is the best way to protect things for the future and the state not to end up with everything..As I know that is not my mom's wishes..
She has always been a strong woman and I do expect her to live another 10 or more years as I had a great grandmother that lived to 98..
I just have not wanted to deal with all this but know I have to learn about the best way to deal with all this ..What is best route for me and my mom ?

Thankyou very much for any help you can give me..I will be in NY next week..

Sincerely,
Nora

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">