• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate planning and asset protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ConnorW

Currently I am in Colorado.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good estate / asset protection attorney. Although I am in Colorado right now I plan on moving, most likely to Minnesota.

Some background and why I am asking:

About a year and a half ago I was rear ended while at a red light, no question as to the person who rear ended me being at fault. That was the simple part of the accident. I just happened to be at work when the accident happened, so there is a worker compensation claim involved which is nearly done. The person who hit me just happened to be in a rental car without the insurance the rental car companies offer, so the rental car company is 50% responsible under Colorado law.

Do to the injuries I received, the length of the treatment to date, etc the accident portion could result in a large award, or settlement if it ends up not going to trial.

With the possibility of a large award I would like to take the right steps to make sure that the money is well protected, that my daughter has something in the end, and that the assets are protected against any future unforseen circumstances.

As far as debt goes I have about $200.00 which will be paid as soon as my worker compensation claim is finished. Other than that $200.00 debt there are no skeletons, lawsuits, etc.

As the worker compensation claim has come close to being completed I have started looking at trusts and asset protection. I have looked into how to maximise the award I get. I do have a business opportunity to start a business with a small outlay of cash and own 50%, plus a hobby business that could make real money if I put some capital into it. Needless to say I've seen all the offshore options, which could be a good idea IF I can find a legit attorney and cpa/tax attorney to set it up and make sure that everything is legal and above board.

The key here for me is legit and above board. I'm going to have to pay taxes on the award I get and see no reason to "hide" my assets when I can protect them legally.

Which brings me back to my question: Does anyone know of a good, legit, estate/asset protection attorney anywhere? I figure even if I can find an attorney in another state they would probably know someone here in Colorado or in Minnesota where I plan on moving once everything is done.

Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">