• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

de031ma

My wife's uncle passed away a few years ago and her father had power of attorney. He had no will at the time and all his money was split amongst his siblings evenly by a law firm we hired. Now the law firm is receiving checks from an asbestos settlement he was involved in before he died. Does this money still have to be disbursed among his siblings or can it be disbursed by the power of attorney as he sees fit?

NY state

Last edited:

anteater

You should answer the question asking for your state since responses can be state-dependent.

But, since this is a short one...

The authority of your wife's father under a POA expired when wife's uncle passed away.

ADDED: Thanks for editing to add your state. But, in this case, it does not change the answer.

Last edited:

de031ma

so...

the estate which is controlled by the lawyer has to distribute the funds accordingly with siblings?

anteater

The funds would part of the uncle's probate estate and would be distributed according to New York's intestate succession statutes. Since other estate assets were apparently distributed to the siblings already, presumably, those siblings are the rightful heirs under intestacy.

I have to assume that the lawyer to which you refer was appointed by the court to administer the uncle's estate.

de031ma

well..

I believe we went to him after my wife's Uncle passed away, don't believe he was appointed by a court. He was working with my wife's uncle on asbestos claims before his death. The lawyer gets paperwork from the settlements that my wife's father has to sign every few months then a check comes through. makes me wonder if its all up and up.
Thanks for your comments on this, I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">