• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisawalters5008

What is the name of your state? GA

:confused: My step-father has filed a petition to receive a year's support from my deceased mother's estate. She passed away 7/28/2006. There was no will. My twin sister and I were told verbally (by my grandmother) that we are not named as beneficiaries on any of my mother's 401(k), pension, life insurance or other accounts. Other assets are negligible (together they owned a home that has been mortgaged to the max and we have already received certain sentimental items that our grandmother assured us we could have). So, what are the possibilities that this petition could impact any future financial disbursements to my sister and I? There is no dollar amount indicated in the petition. Is there a possibility that my step-father is just trying to buy time until certain disbursements are made to him so that he can fend off creditors? He is employed, but of course, no longer has my mother's SDI or Social Security as income. Although my sister and I have no knowledge of anything being left to us, (and we are o.k. with that) should we be concerned? What about my mother's other potential heirs such as her grandchildren? Is there any claim that could or should be made by them or by us on their behalf? Our step-father has one son. Thank you. Any input would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">