• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate and Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TMD66

This is in OHIO.

My grandmother died in 1996. She left everything to her two children equally. My uncle signed away the housse to my mother and took a larger sum of money.

Background - My uncle does not pay his taxes. When he got divorced from wife #1 - she had to pay all the back taxes. He is married again and still doesn't pay his taxes. He is also on disabiliity (this is recent).

My mother is selling the house. The title appears not to be free and clear since there is a lien on it from the federal government. She was never notified of this. The lien is in my uncles name. My parents have a loan on the house and the lien did not come up then.

Apparently my uncle owes over $20,000 in back taxes. They are informing my mother that she needs to pay $36,000 in hi taxes.

My question is ... how can the IRS do this? He signed his right to the house away in court in 1996. Why do they not go after him? Why do they not go after his wife who is still working? Supposedly the mortgage company lawyer and the lawyer used with my grandmothers estate are looking into it. My mother will just do whatever they tell her and not ask questions.

I think its terrible that someone must be responsible for a peson who has never owned the home, paid for anything or has even been around the family since 1996. Another home purchase hangs in the balance and everything is to close on July 24th ... maybe.

Help - What are the real options!

A

advisor10

JULY 21, 2001

DEAR TMD66:

Please post this question on one of the tax-related sites on freeadvice.com, where you are more likely to get a helpful response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">