• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate time line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fejm

My mother in law died almost 2 1/2 years ago. Her apt. was
sold almost a year ago. All money has be disbursed to the heirs with the exeception of the money made from the sale of the apt. The executor will not disburse that money. How long does he legally have to do this? It seems that he is dragging his feet. Also he gave the grandchildren money that is not listed in the will. Is this legal or should that money have been disbursed only to the heirs listed in the will? My mother in law also owned a car, which she was still making payments on. The executor had her sign the car over to himself a few months before her death. She was terminally ill at the time. Is this legal? Do all heirs receive a full accounting of the estate when it is finally settled? All of this is going on in PA. Thanks

ALawyer

Is the executor a stranger or a family member? Did one of the heirs disclaim so his share went to grandchildren? Have you asked for a stautus report? AN accounting?

F

fejm

Executor is family member who is an heir. No no one said they didn't want their share of the estate. The executor forwarded checks to the grandchildren from the estate. The grandchildren are all young so I know they didn't ask for the money. They were all given a specific amt in a codicle that was never notarized, the second disbursement of money to the grandchildren was not in the will or the codicle. Asked for status report almost a year ago and executor refuses to give one. How long does he have to settle this PA estate?

ALawyer

If the executor is acting beyond the authority or scope of the Will and Codicil (and a Codicil need not be notarized) the executor may be personally laible.

It sounds as if you need a lawyer to represent your interests and I suggest you get one ASAP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">