• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate value equalization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoledude

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My parents each have a trust but the values are quite different between the two to where my mother would not get the full benefit of the $1.5 million estate tax exclusion.

My father's trust is valued around $4.3 million and my mother's at $1.1 million. Are there any tax ramifications to be careful of if we wanted to transfer some assets from one trust to the other to help balance this out?

Also they have a joint bank account with around $100,000 sitting in it.
What's the best way to get this out of joint name? I thought about transferring it to my mothers trust or setting it up with a TOD designation).

divgradcurl

With this much money involved, you really need to talk with an estate planning professional to minimize or avoid taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">