• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aphares

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi,

My long time mentor, or close to a father figure, (non relative) passed away in Oct. He had told me threw-out the years, "I was in his estate." After his passing, his only surviving daughter told me, (I was listed in his estate.)

The will has already been read, and filed with the county clerks office.

I received a letter of "Notice Of Administration" from his daughter's lawyer. claiming 'appointed personal representative of estate," and any "claims must be filed by date", bla, bla.

Questions

1) why did I receive this letter?

2) What do I do, or just nothing at all?

I guess explain the process to me, since I don't know.

Thank you
A

CLJM

A,

My condolences on the passing of your friend and mentor.

You have received notice that probate has been opened, a Personal Representative (the "driver", if you will, of the probate administration) has been appointed and will be administered according to the state statues and Will of the deceased. You received this notice because you are a person of interest to the estate; named in the Will.

You can read up on the probate process and administration:
Indiana State Probate Statues Title 29

CLJM

A,

At this point, I don't think you need to do anything, unless the letter called for a response. You could, if you like, write a note of acknowledgement of receipt, unless the notification letter came to you by certified mailing. From what you have said, it was simply your "notification" as an interested party that the administration has commenced.

You would do well to read up on the probate statues---it will allow you to "follow" the proceedings which is to your benefit.

CLJM

A,

You are quite welcome.

I too, am involved in a probate process and administration and I am finding it fascinating to learn about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">