• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evil stepmother won't let us pick out anything to remember Dad by. Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lisa803

Please Help. My father just died yetserday and we are from out of state. We are in the area for a few days only and want to pick out a few personal items to remember our father by plus something to give to his mother and brother. She won't let us, even though she has acknowledged that she knows of certain items he wants us to have.

Do we have any recourse to get items that predated her or anything at all. We haven't even gotten to the topic of the will.

Thanks

ALawyer

I am sorry for your loss, but please recognize that your step-mother also may be grieving, and not acting as rationally as she would otherwise. And your coming and demanding his things would upset someone in that circumstance.

When you find out what the Will provides, you'll get what it provides. If he left you something that's what you'll get. If he did not you'll be dependent on her good graces.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

L

loriks

If she is really an evil stepmother, go after your family things and don't stop until you have them. Otherwise, you'll never see them. We waited, and our evil stepmother kept what she wanted, and auctioned off the rest. We stood in the rain and bid on what family keepsakes we did get. There are some thieving, gold-digging, dishonest people out there.

B

beaTN

Lisa, First let me tell you how sorry I am to hear that your Dad died. Next I know you are almost incoherent but get you a lawyer now! You and your brothers and sisters should get your Dads belongings NOW. We waited and now my step-mother has died too. Her children will NOT give us any of my Dads personal stuff. I am telling you now, GET a lawyer, do whatever you have to do in order to get your Dads things, or you will never get them. DO IT NOW! DO NOT WAIT ANOTHER DAY. Don't try to deal with her personally, it does not work that way. LIES ARE ALL YOU WILL GET. This is from experience, please don't wait. Good luck and I hope you and your family get your Dads items you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">