• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exclude husband from beneficiaries in will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keeley

What is the name of your state? Washington

I'm married with no kids. Moved to Washington 3 month ago for a job. My husband is still working living in Texas. We have seperate bank accounts. I want to know if I can write a will so that if anything happened to me, I'd leave to my parents all money in my bank account, my stocks, retirement account and the things that I purchased with my own money. Would this will be legal?

Thanks

seniorjudge

I'm married with no kids. Moved to Washington 3 month ago for a job. My husband is still working living in Texas. We have seperate bank accounts. I want to know if I can write a will so that if anything happened to me, I'd leave to my parents all money in my bank account, my stocks, retirement account and the things that I purchased with my own money. Would this will be legal?

Thanks
A good place to start your research:

http://www.kcll.org/researchhelp/researchguides/probate.html

Thanks
If you have not divorced, your husband can petition the court to set aside any will that disinheirits him and take what is called a spousal election. The percentage of the election varies from state to state, but generally runs from 25% to 50%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">