• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excluding something from a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cssnj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

This may seem like a silly question but... my father-in-law, who is widowed, has completed his will, leaving everything (50/50) to his 2 sons (my husband and his brother). However, my father-in-law owns a timeshare, which is paid in full, but which he must pay $400 a year maintenance fee forever, or, according to his agreement, they will put a lien against his house, etc., Nether one of his sons want it, now or after he dies. Can this particular item be excluded from his will, or can the timeshare company still come after his heirs, even though it was specifically excluded from the will? Please note, we have tried to sell the timeshare, but it's impossible to do so.. there are so many people trying to get rid of them. Any ideas would be appreciated!

anteater

Excluding it from the will does nothing. It will still be an asset (or liability, depending upon your point of view) of FIL's estate and the estate administrator will have to deal with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">