• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

excluding a spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janice54

What is the name of your state? alabama
got married 1996 - the house is in my name and the mortgage has been paid off after the marriage.
The purchases made since marriage are minimal - replacing appliances, sofa and such - Stocks, IRA and such were mine prior to marriage.
Several years ago an attorney drew up a will for me completely excluding my spouse. Now as I research online, everything I find says you cannot do this in Alabama.
What do I have to leave him?
Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you dont want to leave him anything when you die, you should divorce him. If he is married to you most courts -- if not all -- will allow him to take his intestate share if you are married. The intestate share being what he would have gotten if you didn't have a will. Of course then the courts might see that the house (part of the equity) and the belongings are part his now because he has been your spouse for so long. Unless he agrees to it you cannot NOT leave him anything or disinherit him if he is your spouse unless you have nothing to leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">