• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executing a will in a timely manner

• Thread starter Marianna Hutchinson
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marianna Hutchinson

for the state of virginia....i was named as a beneficiary in a will. my friend has been deceased for 1 year now, and i have yet to have any notification from the executor(other than confirming over the phone that i was named in the will). the executor is a lawyer in colonial heights, va.. how long can this be dragged out?

A

advisor10

JULY 17, 2001

DEAR MARIANNA:

It is really unusual for a probate case to be dragged out this long.

Unless there is some reason that your friends' business affairs might be complicated or had lots of debts to pay, there seems to be no reason for the dragging out and executor seems to be stalling. What reason does he give you when you ask why it is taking so long.

If you know the city/state where your friend died, then you should contact the county courthouse for that city/state to ask for a copy of the will (if you have not already received it), or visit the courthouse in person if that is possible. You could look at the probate file to see what activity has already occurred and it would give you an overview of how the estate is being handled.

If possible, get the executor to give you an estimated date of when he expects to be making the distribution to heirs/beneficiaries. It is possible that there may not be enough money left over after paying debts, funeral expenses and taxes, etc., but if this is the case then the executor should at least let you know this. I have a fairly good feeling that you are going to receive something, but you may need to get your own attorney (or at least you should send a certified letter to the executor to have an official record that you tried to get information from him) to contact the executor if the executor is not more forthcoming in providing you with information.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">