• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor of Father's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waxobe

Georgia

Hello,

I am the executor of my Father's will which was probated over four years ago. I have a family member who is unhappy with the will and all things related to my father's estate even though I have followed everything to the letter of the will as specified. The family member contacts me constantly, wanting questions answered about accounts, taxes, property etc. I have been consistent over the years and attempted to answer all questions and provide documents that I had access to, but the constant barrage of accusations and threats of law suits is becoming tiresome. Do I have any protections or recourse regarding my responsibilities in this matter? Is there a limitation to how long and often I must respond to every single request of this person no matter how unreasonable those requests my be?

Thank You,

waxobe

The probate has closed. But as I am a family member I am attempting to "keep the peace" but what it amounts to is this person thinks they should have more than they got and is just being difficult. I just wondered if I have any way to cut it off. Like if I am off the hook at some point.

justalayman

its up to you. If you don't want to answer the guy, don't. If you do its your choice.

If he thinks he has a valid claim for something and it isn't beyond the statute of limitations. (Depending precisely how long ago things were closed out they are or they are close) he can file the appropriate documents with the court.

OHRoadwarrior

Ditto, the judge agreed with your handling of the estate. His argument is with the court now, not you. Only if a judge reviews and finds fraud will they be calling on you.

Dandy Don

If you did not have the assistance of a probate attorney for you to get advice from or counsel from when the estate was probated, you may want to ask an attorney to review the file to see if you have done everything correctly. Did you provide this beneficiary with a copy of the will and an accounting (if Georgia state law required you to do so) when probate was finished?

If you are reasonably sure you have carried out your duties professionally and responsibly, then do not worry.

Tell this greedy, unappreciative relative to kindly leave you alone and that you wish to receive no further complaints about this matter because probate is OVER!!!

latigo

If the judge approved, tell them their argument is with the probate court.
So that's the way it is?

Once the estate has been closed any complaints about its administration by the PR and the exercise of those fiduciary duties and responsibilities of trust then fall upon the probate court; because according to you the PR is then off of the hook. Right roadkill?

If you knew a small part of what you pretentiously purport to know about the practice of law you might possibly know that the probate court neither audits nor guarantees the accuracy of the PR's Inventory and Appraisement nor the Final Account nor any other such filings by the PR!

To point a finger at the probate court is as foolish and irresponsible as stating that if intrinsic fraud is committed during the course of a trial, the presiding judge can be held personally liable to a litigant that suffered an unfavorable judgment because of it.

LdiJ

Georgia

Hello,

I am the executor of my Father's will which was probated over four years ago. I have a family member who is unhappy with the will and all things related to my father's estate even though I have followed everything to the letter of the will as specified. The family member contacts me constantly, wanting questions answered about accounts, taxes, property etc. I have been consistent over the years and attempted to answer all questions and provide documents that I had access to, but the constant barrage of accusations and threats of law suits is becoming tiresome. Do I have any protections or recourse regarding my responsibilities in this matter? Is there a limitation to how long and often I must respond to every single request of this person no matter how unreasonable those requests my be?

Thank You,
So, you are saying that probate closed 4 years ago and the estate was fully distributed to all of the heirs at that time?...that there is nothing left for you to administer and there has been nothing left for 4 years?

If so, and you are truly confident that you did everything by the book then its probably time to tell your family member that enough is enough and that you are not going to discuss it any further.

OHRoadwarrior

With your usual crude and often misstated or misrepresenting posts you are very humorous. As standing in OP's yard, yelling liar, liar, pants on fire is unlikely to advance his case, obtaining court records of the approved dispensation and checking them for any questions of error is the next logical step. OP is not required to pass them out.

So that's the way it is?

Once the estate has been closed any complaints about its administration by the PR and the exercise of those fiduciary duties and responsibilities of trust then fall upon the probate court; because according to you the PR is then off of the hook. Right roadkill?

If you knew a small part of what you pretentiously purport to know about the practice of law you might possibly know that the probate court neither audits nor guarantees the accuracy of the PR's Inventory and Appraisement nor the Final Account nor any other such filings by the PR!

To point a finger at the probate court is as foolish and irresponsible as stating that if intrinsic fraud is committed during the course of a trial, the presiding judge can be held personally liable to a litigant that suffered an unfavorable judgment because of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">