• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor (Kansas) do they have a resident requirement? HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vixeninvegas

What is the name of your state? I'm asking a question on my parents behalf & they live in Topeka Kansas

Hello - My parents live in Topeka Kansas & they have been told by other relatives that I can not be the executor of their estate. I am their only child. I am 41 years old & live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Everything they have they have added my name to (i.e. Home, Investments, etc.) - they have taken care of that. But people they are speaking with are frightening them saying that since I am not a resident of Kansas I can not be their executor. I have read on the internet that "ideally" the executor should reside in the same state but nowhere have I found that they MUST.

:confused:

Thanks so much in advance for any light anyone can shed on this subject

Last edited:

Dandy Don

You need to be discussing this matter specifically with a Kansas probate attorney, since it is very unlikely that one would be reading this message board.

It is only common sense that a resident of the State of Kansas or a probate attorney there would receive preference in serving as executor, since out-of-state persons who wish to take on the responsibility sometimes are unable or unwilling to be present at all court dates if the probate takes place for more than a few months--are you prepared to drop everything where you live to temporarily move to Kansas for as long a time as it will take to get this estate completely probated?

V

vixeninvegas

Ty for your response - I appreciate the time you put into answering my request. I figured they would need to otalk to a Kansas attorney. I thought it was worth a try - the internet is such a huge place & you never know who will be on here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">