• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor not dispersing money as requested in will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danabw

Alabama - My father passed away last year and his wife was named executor. The will states that all the money in the bank is to be divided equally among his spouse and his 3 children. The bank account was in my father and step-mother's names and she has refused to give any money to me and my siblings. Our step mother claims that because the account was in her name too she is not obligated to give us any money. We live in Alabama and need to know if we have a legal right to the money our father wanted us to have. Thanks

anteater

We live in Alabama and need to know if we have a legal right to the money our father wanted us to have.
Probably not. The account likely was titled in a manner that passes the entire account automatically to the surviving owner. The account titling takes precedence over a will's provisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">