• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor qualifications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

muser1

Under California law, is it legal/ethical for a beneficiary to also be an executor or conservator?

A friend's father passed away in late 1999, leaving a $6,000,000 estate (before probate). The estate was divided three ways with 80 percent of it going to my friend and her brother (the decedent's children) and 20% to her uncle (the decedent's brother who was also executor).

The uncle charged the estate $100,000 in executors' fees which seems excessive to me, particularly in light of the fact that he got the smaller portion of the estate.

A

advisor10

JUNE 7, 2001

DEAR MUSER:

Yes, it is ethical and legal for an executor to also be a beneficiary. It is a somewhat difficult and time-consuming job to do all the paperwork required to handle a decedent's business affairs.

EXECUTOR FEES FOR CALIFORNIA:
4% of the first $15,000.,
3% of the next $85,000.,
2% of the next $900,000.,
1% of the next $9,000,000.
0.5% of the next $15,000,000.

I calculate his fee as $110,925., so what he has charged is reasonable. He may have had access to slightly different figures to base his computation on.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">