• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor stole from my father's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suzy351

What is the name of your state? pa:confused: my dad died in 1999. my uncle and my brother in law were the executors. the brother in law did nothing. my uncle stole various items from my dad's estate. he said he deposited the money into my dad's account. he now says he didn't pay for the items but he closed the account,what can i do? i don't have a copy of the will. is it possible for me to see the bank statements? there is a possibility that my uncle stole money also. help me please

Dandy Don

Go to the county courthouse probate court (any librarian can help you find the address) to look at your father's probate file--it will have the will and other financial documentation in it explaining how the estate was handled (or order copies of the file by mail if you can't visit the courthouse in person) and also try to find out from the court clerk whether or not it is a requirement in that county that executor's post a bond.

It seems like if your father loved you he would have named you as a beneficiary in the will. The only reason I can think of that you weren't given anything is if the expenses (outstanding debts, funeral, taxes, etc.) totalled up to be more than what the estate was worth. It does seem like there may have been some stealing going on.

Make copies of all of the documentation in the file, and then go to another probate attorney to get his/her opinion on how you should proceed to try to get your money if funds were stolen from you.

DANDY DON ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">