• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor vs trustee of estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gibson2245

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? va

My father in law passed away last year. His will set up an estate and named 2 of my brother in laws as co-executors. It also named my mother in law and myself as co-trustees. What are my responsibilities/authorities as co-trustee when there are executors?

curb1

"What are my responsibilities/authorities as co-trustee when there are executors?" To protect and distribute the assets that are within the trust. Ideally, most/all of the assets are titled in the name of the trust.

anteater

His will set up an estate...
The use of the term "estate" is ambiguous. Do you mean that his will directed that a trust be created and/or funded?

Execuotrs administer a probate estate under the supervision of the probate court. And, as curb1 said, trustee(s) administer a trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">