• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor of will does not want to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ErraticMagnet

Hello,

So my mom was friends with an older lady who recently passed away. In her will, she assigned $200k to her grand daughter, $40k and $40k to charities and $10k to my mother. The executor of the will told my mom that everyone will get their money secured except for her. That she would get hers after everything else is paid off. In the will it is stated that if there is any spontaneous debt, everyones payoff would be equally (proportionally) affected.

Is this legally correct? He is a distant family member that is hurt that he was not listed in the will. Many people are telling my mom to watch out because the guy is a snake. What can I do?thanks in advance!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello,

So my mom was friends with an older lady who recently passed away. In her will, she assigned $200k to her grand daughter, $40k and $40k to charities and $10k to my mother. The executor of the will told my mom that everyone will get their money secured except for her. That she would get hers after everything else is paid off. In the will it is stated that if there is any spontaneous debt, everyones payoff would be equally (proportionally) affected.

Is this legally correct? He is a distant family member that is hurt that he was not listed in the will. Many people are telling my mom to watch out because the guy is a snake. What can I do?thanks in advance!
You can't do anything. Your mother can petition probate court to get a new executor or to have the terms of the will followed.

curb1

The executor/personal representative has no power to do this until authorized by the probate court. Has this estate been presented for probate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">