• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executrix has question for Advisor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

womanpower

To Advisor from State of Louisiana. In my past posts you have given me some great advice. In reading the posts of others who are often having problems with the Administrator or Executor, I come from the other side. Due to dishonesty of my siblings, and just plain meaness from some of them, they have caused the loss of many thousands of dollars in legal fees. Not to mention the mental stress and unhappiness.

Three of my siblings stole about $13,000 from Mother, had her sign checks and documents while she was hospitalized and not able to make decisions or be aware of what she was signing.

Then they proceeded to hide this from me (as well as the original will) when Mother died. I have spent over two years trying to bring this matter to a conclusion. I have even had to file criminal charges against one of my brothers for threatening and harassing me.

There is no way that this money can ever be recovered. And no way will the hurt ever be repaired or forgotten. I seldom see messages from an Administrator or Executor, but I would be willing to bet there are as many out there as their are legatees that feel they have been wronged.

If money is stolen in a succession, is this a civil matter or a criminal matter? I am aware that it would take a lot of money to fight one of these battles, but was just curious as to whether criminal charges can be placed against someone stealing money that belongs in a succession. Thanks for your always understanding and compassionate advise.:D

A

advisor10

3-12-2002

DEAR WOMANPOWER:

I am not familiar with Louisiana law; please consult with a Louisiana probate attorney to get an accurate response to your questions. Depending on what charges the prosecutor decided to file, it could fall into being either a criminal or a civil case.

In view of the fact that there is no real benefit to be obtained (you admit this yourself), perhaps it would be better to leave this matter alone. You are only asking for more aggravation and harrassment if you pursue legal action against these people in a case that is difficult, if not nearly impossible, to prove successfully.

Go on with your life as best you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">