• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extent of Obligation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paschwhi

Oklahoma.
Last January I married a widower who has 2 step-daughters from his first marriage. Since I had property and children and he had property and step-daughters we had wills made to both of our satisfaction. I recently found out that his step-daughters have asked him to co-sign on several notes between the two of them. They are bad with money and their spouses are as well. My question is if something were to happen to him and the step-daughters defaulted and these notes he has co-signed on, is his estate still responsible to pay these debt? Nothing was specifically put in the will about a situation of this nature? Any insight is appreciated.

R

Rosie65

What about if they redo the wills? I assume from the original post that he intends to leave some sort of inheritance to the stepdaughters. Can't he address the situation in his will saying that any debt he owes on behalf of the stepdaughters, whether by cosigning loans/notes or making direct loans to them, would be taken out of their shares of the estate, and only after that is exhausted would the rest of the estate be tapped to pay the debt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">