• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failed trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

siboy

this is in ohio. my father recently died, and we (his heirs) thought everything was taken care of in a trust. however, we are finding that our father did not "put" things in the trust. where do we go from here? does this automatically mean that everything will go through probate? why in the world did'nt his estate plnner follow up to see that stuff was done? any suggestions on where to go from here would be helpful. thanks, siboy

Are you saying he just talked about having a trust and never went thru with the procedures or, are you saying he went to an estate planner to have a trust done and the estate planner never completed it or neglected to title his assets to the trust?

Dandy Don

Contact your local county courthouse probate court to find out what the minimum amount of estate value must be before probate is required. If the assets that are not accounted for in the trust add up to more than the minimum required, then an intestate probate will be required (intestate means "without a will", if there was no will), or if there was a will, then the will needs to be probated.

S

siboy

As I understand it --Our father had a trust. Some investments are in it. The rest of his assets were never completed. It looks like he was given instructions as to how to put everything in the trust, but as far as we can tell he never did it. (like checking/saving accounts, house, etc)

Have you seen a copy of the trust? If so, how is it titled, what kind of trust was it, and who is now the trustee? Out of curiosity, what county in Ohio is this taking place? I hope for your sake it is not Jefferson county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">