• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family wants me to pay back estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carry1

What is
the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nc

My mother paid a builder to have a 1 bedroom apartment built in my home. After living with us for 13 months, my sister took my mother out of state in order to care for her since her health was declining.

Now my sister wants me to pay my mother and her estate back for the costs mom incurred to have her apartment built. Due to HOA restrictions, I am unable to lease this apartment, it remains vacant and is of no use to me, other than I am paying taxes on the finished portion of the basement. My mother never signed any papers indicating that the money spent on building an apartment in my home would be returned to her estate. Mom's mental capacity would no longer allow her to make this kind of decision now>

What can I do?

anteater

The choices seem simple:

1) Tell sister to pound sand. And, if she has the legal authority to pursue it on behalf of the estate, you will see her in court.

2) Pay it back to the estate, in whole or in part after negotiation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">