• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fastest way to leave house to specific child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kfowler57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. Wondering if there is a quick way to leave our paid-for house to one specific child that would allow that child to take immediate possession without waiting on a will to work its way through the system. I've not had any luck getting information from the state itself if they offer Deed on Death or something similar. Our concern is another, irresponsible child would squat. I wasn't sure if this should be posted under real estate law so if I need to move it, please let me know. Thanks.

FlyingRon

There is no transfer-on-death deed allowed in Florida. If you want to transfer it on death but avoid probate placing it now in a (revocable) trust is probably the best answer.

LdiJ

There is no transfer-on-death deed allowed in Florida. If you want to transfer it on death but avoid probate placing it now in a (revocable) trust is probably the best answer.
I agree. However the child who is irresponsible might still "squat" and have to be evicted by the responsible child.

FlyingRon

I agree. However the child who is irresponsible might still "squat" and have to be evicted by the responsible child.
I read that to mean he might move in while the house was in probate (after the owner wasn't there to run him off anymore). Again, getting the control of the house directly into the hands of the intended beneficiary would be best accomplished with a trust. Even before the deed was transferred if the beneficiary was the successor trustee it would give him the authority to occupy or defend the property from potential squatters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">