• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father died that denied being my father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hiltonsgal

What is the name of your state? Virginia
My mother never married my dad and he refused to acknowledge that i existed. I have dna proof that he was my father. Now he has passed away and i would like to know if i have any rights to his estate? He never paid child support and could i possibly collect now from his estate?

Dandy Don

If your father's name appears on your birth certificate, that would give you much stronger evidence on which to base your claim.

Did this man have other children?

First thing you need to do is to try to get a copy of the will--normally it is filed within 30 days of the death at the county courthouse probate court.

In the meantime, contact the child support office that issued the original order for payment and get a letter from them stating how much is due now--yes, you do have grounds to file a claim with the estate for this unpaid and due amount which is considered as an outstanding and currently payable debt.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

H

hiltonsgal

My father had no other children, his wife passed away in the 70's...he has a sister living, 2 neices and one nephew that was listed in his obits. I went to the court house today and no will has been probated as of yet. Since noone knew i existed, where should i start now?

Dandy Don

You will need to be a little bit patient--check at the county courthouse about every 15 days to see if anything has been filed, assuming he even HAD a will. If there is nothing filed within the 30 days, contact the surviving spouse by letter or mail and ask for the name and address of the executor. Did he have enough of an income as to where you think he might have left any assets behind?

In the meantime, get a copy of the divorce papers/records that show verification that child support was awarded. If the will is ever filed, you will need the assistance of a probate attorney to help you file a claim against the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">