• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father inlaws will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mary Ann

My father in law died 2 weeks ago, My husband and his sister, the only children are co-executors..My sister in law got a copy of the will and with my husband took it to be probated, when the person looked at the will, she realized that it was not noterized by the lawyer who wrote it, 20 years ago, he is now dead but the clerk at the probate office knows the office and said she should be able to validate the signature, thus my site in law and my husband can open the accounts once its verified..now the question, even though my husband was at the probate office and signed all the papers jointly with his sister, he never looked at the will or was given a copy. everything is suppose to be split equally between the two of them, however there are grandkids who may be in the will too, our 3 and my sister in laws 1, shouldn't my husband been given a copy of the will at probate, his sister has one but has yet to show it to my husband..now she suggested that her lawyer say that its unusual for the will never to have been noterized and they should have it declared invaled...and then just split it on their own following the will...this does not make sense to me especially since we've never seen it. Doesn't my husband have a right to his copy now, before he makes a decision, and also what if he doesn't want to declare it invalad, what rights does he have..Its not a big estate, but there is a house and some accounts. If the grand kids are in the will what rights do they have. I don't trust my brother in law, or his lawyer. If its just my husband and his sister why would you make it invalad? there is noone else to contest it. thankyou so much, we don't have a lawyer, we figured family wouldn't need it..

D

Dona54

I am not a attorney, but I do know that you can go back down to the probate office & for a small fee have a copy made of the will that is now on file. Also, as the estate goes along there could be other papers filed & you can go & get copies of those as needed.
That's where I am going tomorrow...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">