• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Just Found But Deceased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

irishwhisper

What is the name of your state? father died N.C. march 2003
I live Florida and just discovered where he lived after 50 yrs.
Last saw him as a child and have been searching for him only to discover he is now deceased.
I have no Idea if he had a will, or property or was remarried and has other children. I don't know where to start to see if there is a will etc.
We were kept apart due to other family situation with my mother and never allowed information regarding his existance.
He always sent my mother money when I was a child and I have his ss# and that is how I found him in the ss death index file. :(
My friend told me about the ss death index and she pushed me to locate him but it was too late.

Dandy Don

Please mention what city in North Carolina that he died in so that someone can look up the address and phone number of the county courthouse for that city.

I

irishwhisper

I have all that information but still trying to decide if I should try with an attorney to seek out personal information from the family or not. It is a shock I am sure to have a daughter come forward after over 50 yrs.

Dandy Don

You don't need an attorney to seek personal information from the family. You can do the work yourself by looking at the probate file to see the name and address of the executor (if there was a will) and names and addresses of surviving beneficiaries/heirs/family members will also be in the file. You decide for yourself whether or not you wish to contact them--yes it would be a shock but people gradually come to accept these things eventually.

Are you primarily wanting contact with the family or trying to see if you are eligible to receive anything from the estate?

I

irishwhisper

I would naturally be interested to see if I was mentioned in a will.
I don't know yet if there is one because this is only monday and I just found this information on friday and I had to wait the weekend out to get help from anyone until monday.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">