• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father in law dies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CGLASGOW

What is the name of your state? georgia

MY FATHER IN LAW JUST PAST AWAY. HIS FAMILY WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY HUSBAND. HOW SHOULD WE GO ABOUT THE PROBATE PROCESS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO TELL US ANYTHING. I HAVE BEEN TO THE COBB COUNTY COURTHOUSE BUT THEY SAID HE DID NOT HAVE A WILL FILED WITH THEM. IS IT POSSIBLE HE HAD A WILL AND DIDN'T FILE IT.

PLEASE HELP.

H

hexeliebe

first of all, TURN OFF THE DAMN CAPS LOCK!

On the internet, it's considered very rude.

Next, if there is no will filed at the courthouse one of two things is or has occurred.

1. There is a will and the 'others' have not yet filed it or;

2. there was no will.

In either case, your husband/wife, whomever is the child of the father-in-law, can file a probate action in the county where he died and begin probate. IF a will exists this will help flush it out.

Otherwise, he died intestate (without a will) and the laws of his state will prevail in the disposition of his estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">