• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Passed Away with No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slryno

What is the name of your state? FL

My father passed away last weekend and I was notified by my sister about his passing via email two days after the fact. She did not inform the family he was ill and seemed to have kept this info from us. Our parents are divorced and living survivors are us 3 adult children and 3 grandchildren Upon speaking with my sister she advised that Dad left no will but lived with a female companion. My sister was going to try to get into female companions residence, where dad resided, and shuffle through papers hoping to find monies, documents or whatever she can. Dad left a vehicle and she asked me if I wanted it and I stated no to donate it to charity but go thru the vehicle thoroughly first.

Sis had Dad creamated immediately and Funeral Home faxed me documents to sign off which I haven't returned as of yet. I still haven't heard anymore from the Funeral Home even after leaving them messages.

Bottom line is Sis is now not returning any phone calls from me or my mother so we know what is going on. I live in Michigan, sis and mom live in Florida on separate sides of the state. Our brother is not able to be contacted. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dandy Don

Do the funeral home documents that you are signing off on ask you to help pay part of the cost of the funeral?

You need to stop pestering sister about information from this estate. Normally the will (if there is one) is filed at the county courthouse probate court within 30 days after the death, so you can check at the courthouse to see if anything has been filed yet. Sis is probably grieving and busy handling estate matters, so give her some breathing room. She will be getting in touch with you at the appropriate time. There may not even be much of an estate left.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

slryno

Dad Passing with No Will

Thanks for the response! The documents from the Funeral Home were stating for payment, but upon further questioning they finally stated that Dad had pre-paid so I crossed out and initialed. They already had him cremated before contacting me so why do they need those signed documents if they already did the action? I'm confused! I also don't want Brother to come after me for submitting these documents since he's still unreachable at this point.

Found out last evening that Sis was not returning calls cause she's been in St. Thomas since Wed morning. I don't think 2 phone messages is pesting. I only wanted to know if the girlfriend allowed her entrance into her house to obtain belongings. There is no will according to Sis. What I asked Sis for was some old pics of the family. Don't think that is unreasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">